Fort Clark (1): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
(11 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{PageHeader}} | {{PageHeader}} | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}} (1852-1946)''' - Originally established as [[Fort Riley (1)]] on 20 Jun 1852 by Major [[Joseph H. LaMotte]]<!-- not USMA -->, [[1st U.S. Infantry]], and named after the Commander of the [[1st U.S. Infantry]]. The fort was renamed Fort Clark on 15 Jul 1852 for Major [[John B. Clark]]<!-- not USMA -->. The fort was closed in 1946. | '''{{PAGENAME}} (1852-1946)''' - Originally established as [[Fort Riley (1)]] on 20 Jun 1852 by Major [[Joseph H. LaMotte]]<!-- not USMA -->, [[1st U.S. Infantry]], and named after the Commander of the [[1st U.S. Infantry]]. The fort was renamed Fort Clark on 15 Jul 1852 for Major [[John B. Clark]]<!-- not USMA -->. Active through [[World War I]] and [[World War II]]. The fort was closed in 1946. | ||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
|width="50%"|[[ | |width="50%"|[[File:Fort Clark Cmdg Off Qtrs.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Fort Clark 1874 Commanding Officers Quarters.]] | ||
|width="50%"|[[ | |width="50%"|[[File:Fort Clark 1932 Barracks.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Fort Clark 1932 Barracks.]] | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[ | |colspan="2"|[[File:Fort Clark Commissary Building.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Clark 1892 Commissary Building.]] | ||
|} | |} | ||
== History == | == History == | ||
[[File:Fort Clark Post HQ Burned.jpg|thumb|left|300px|Fort Clark 1857 Post Headquarters. Burned down in November 1959 during the filming of John Wayne's "The Alamo"]] | |||
Fort Clark's original purpose was to guard the Mexican border and the [http://www.over-land.com/elpaso_road.html San Antonio-El Paso Road] against hostile Indian attacks. Colonel Mansfield in his inspection report in 1853 said that Fort Clark was "544 miles without settlement of ''any description'' after leaving El Paso" and recommended that three forts be built in between. | Fort Clark's original purpose was to guard the Mexican border and the [http://www.over-land.com/elpaso_road.html San Antonio-El Paso Road] against hostile Indian attacks. Colonel Mansfield in his inspection report in 1853 said that Fort Clark was "544 miles without settlement of ''any description'' after leaving El Paso" and recommended that three forts be built in between. | ||
{{Clr}} | |||
==[[U.S. Civil War]]== | ==[[U.S. Civil War]]== | ||
On 19 Mar 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union, the federal troops at Fort Clark surrendered the fort to the Provisional Army of Texas. Confederate forces occupied the fort until August 1862. After the war, the fort was again under federal control and was regarrisoned in 1866. | On 19 Mar 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union, the federal troops at Fort Clark surrendered the fort to the Provisional Army of Texas. Confederate forces occupied the fort until August 1862. After the war, the fort was again under federal control and was regarrisoned in 1866. | ||
Line 20: | Line 19: | ||
==Current Status== | ==Current Status== | ||
The | Must See! Now a large, gated private community with a manned access gate. Visitors are welcomed. Essential to any visit is the "Historic District Walking Tour" brochure, The post is preserved with old and more recent structures and barracks repurposed and now a part of the Fort Clark Historic District. The Old Fort Clark Guardhouse Museum is maintained by the Fort Clark Historical Society but only open on weekends. Most of the WWII temporary buildings are gone. | ||
---- | ---- | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="29.30473" lon="-100.42228" zoom="16" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="29.30473" lon="-100.42228" zoom="16" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(F) 29.30473, -100.42228, Fort Clark (1) | (F) 29.30473, -100.42228, Fort Clark (1) | ||
(1852-1946) | (1852-1946) | ||
Line 33: | Line 32: | ||
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|29.30473|-100.42228}} | {{Mapit-US-cityscale|29.30473|-100.42228}} | ||
* Elevation: 1,099' | * Elevation: 1,099' | ||
|valign="top"| | |||
<br> | |||
'''GPS Locations:''' | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=29.30473|Lon=-100.42228}} Fort Clark | |||
|} | |} | ||
Line 57: | Line 61: | ||
{{DEFAULTSORT:Clark (1)}} | {{DEFAULTSORT:Clark (1)}} | ||
[[Category:All]] | [[Category:All]] | ||
[[Category:Must See]] | |||
[[Category:Texas All]] | |||
[[Category:Texas Forts]] | [[Category:Texas Forts]] | ||
[[Category:Texas Kinney County]] | [[Category:Texas Kinney County]] | ||
[[Category:Starter Page]] | [[Category:Starter Page]] | ||
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | ||
[[Category:2018 Research Trip]] | [[Category:2018 Research Trip]] |
Latest revision as of 14:20, 20 September 2019
Fort Clark (1) (1852-1946) - Originally established as Fort Riley (1) on 20 Jun 1852 by Major Joseph H. LaMotte, 1st U.S. Infantry, and named after the Commander of the 1st U.S. Infantry. The fort was renamed Fort Clark on 15 Jul 1852 for Major John B. Clark. Active through World War I and World War II. The fort was closed in 1946.
History![]() Fort Clark's original purpose was to guard the Mexican border and the San Antonio-El Paso Road against hostile Indian attacks. Colonel Mansfield in his inspection report in 1853 said that Fort Clark was "544 miles without settlement of any description after leaving El Paso" and recommended that three forts be built in between.
U.S. Civil WarOn 19 Mar 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union, the federal troops at Fort Clark surrendered the fort to the Provisional Army of Texas. Confederate forces occupied the fort until August 1862. After the war, the fort was again under federal control and was regarrisoned in 1866.
Current StatusMust See! Now a large, gated private community with a manned access gate. Visitors are welcomed. Essential to any visit is the "Historic District Walking Tour" brochure, The post is preserved with old and more recent structures and barracks repurposed and now a part of the Fort Clark Historic District. The Old Fort Clark Guardhouse Museum is maintained by the Fort Clark Historical Society but only open on weekends. Most of the WWII temporary buildings are gone.
See Also: Sources:
Links:
Visited: 29 Nov 2017
|