Fort Meade (1): Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
 
(21 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{PageHeader}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1878-1944) - First established in 1878 as [[Camp Ruhlen]] by Maj. [[Henry M. Lazelle]], [[1st U.S. Infantry]], and named after Lt. [[George Ruhlen]], quartermaster in charge of construction. Renamed Fort Meade on 30 Dec 1878 after MG [[George G. Meade]] of [[U.S. Civil War]] fame. Transferred to the Veterans Administration in 1944.
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1878-1944) - First established in 1878 as [[Camp Ruhlen]] by Maj. [[Henry M. Lazelle]], [[1st U.S. Infantry]], and named after Lt. [[George Ruhlen]] {{Cullum|2426}}, quartermaster in charge of construction. Renamed Fort Meade on 30 Dec 1878 after MG [[George G. Meade]] {{Cullum|804}} of [[U.S. Civil War]] fame. Transferred to the Veterans Administration in 1944 and now a VA hospital complex.
{|width="795px" cellpadding="5px"
{|width="795px" cellpadding="5px"
|- valign="top"
|- valign="top"
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Meade 12 CO Qtrs.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Fort Meade, Building 12, 1906 Commanding Officer Quarters]]
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Meade 12 CO Qtrs.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Fort Meade, Building 12, 1906 Commanding Officer Quarters.]]
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Meade 55 post HQ.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Fort Meade Building 55, 1905 Post Headquarters (now Museum)]]
|width="50%"|[[Image:Fort Meade 55 post HQ.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Fort Meade Building 55, 1905 Post Headquarters (now Museum).]]
|-
|-
|colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Meade 90 Barracks.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Meade, Building 60, circa 1912 Enlisted Barracks]]
|colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Meade 90 Barracks.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Meade, Building 60, circa 1912 Enlisted Barracks.]]
|}
|}
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==
== History ==
[[Image:Fort Meade 110 Stables.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort Meade, Building 110, Stables]]
[[Image:Fort Meade 110 Stables.jpg|thumb|left|250px|Fort Meade, Building 110, Stables.]]
Established 28 Aug 1878 as [[Camp Ruhlen]] by Maj. [[Henry M. Lazelle]], [[1st U.S. Infantry]] on a site selected by Lt. Gen. [[Philip H. Sheridan]] in present day Meade County, South Dakota. The Fort's mission was to control hostile Sioux Indians and protect the Black Hills mining operations.
Established 28 Aug 1878 as [[Camp Ruhlen]] by Maj. [[Henry M. Lazelle]], [[1st U.S. Infantry]] on a site selected by Lt. Gen. [[Philip H. Sheridan]] in present-day Meade County, South Dakota. The Fort's mission was to control hostile Sioux Indians and protect the Black Hills mining operations.


[[Camp J.G. Sturges]] was first established nearby to house the troops building the post. The troops moved to [[Camp Ruhlen]] on 28 Aug 1878 and construction began. The new post was renamed Fort Meade by Department of Dakota General Order 27 on 30 Dec 1878. The initial post construction was complete in August 1879.
[[Camp Sturgis]] was first established nearby to house the troops building the post. The troops moved to [[Camp Ruhlen]] on 28 Aug 1878 and construction began. The new post was renamed Fort Meade by the Department of Dakota General Order 27 on 30 Dec 1878. The initial post construction was complete in August 1879.


The plan of the fort was reportedly laid out by General Sheridan pointing out the locations of the buildings with his sword as he rode around the site. The post was laid out around a central parade that was a rounded rectangle. The officer's quarters were on the south side, the enlisted barracks on the north side and the administrative buildings were at the ends with a headquarters building in the center of the north side. Nine stables, each housing 86 horses lined the north side behind the barracks. The quartermaster had a commissary and a root cellar on the west side. Most of the early buildings were frame construction and they were replaced with stone and brick buildings over the years. Seven of the original frame buildings remain and four of those are faced with rock.
The plan of the fort was reportedly laid out by General Sheridan pointing out the locations of the buildings with his sword as he rode around the site. The post was laid out around a central parade that was a rounded rectangle. The officer's quarters were on the south side, the enlisted barracks on the north side, and the administrative buildings were at the ends with a headquarters building in the center of the north side. Nine stables, each housing 86 horses, lined the north side behind the barracks. The quartermaster had a commissary and a root cellar on the west side. Most of the early buildings were frame construction and they were replaced with stone and brick buildings over the years.
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}


Line 20: Line 21:
Fort Meade served as a training camp and a POW camp during [[World War II]]. In 1944 the post was turned over to the Veterans Administration and a new hospital complex was built north of the old post.  
Fort Meade served as a training camp and a POW camp during [[World War II]]. In 1944 the post was turned over to the Veterans Administration and a new hospital complex was built north of the old post.  
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
Currently occupied by the Veterans Administration and the South Dakota Army National Guard. Many of the old post buildings are preserved and remain today including many of the 1880s officer quarters and enlisted mens barracks.
Currently occupied by the Veterans Administration and the South Dakota Army National Guard. Many of the old post buildings are preserved and repurposed including many of the 1880s officer quarters and enlisted men's barracks. Seven of the original 1878-1879 buildings remain.
 
{{BldgHeader|Title=Fort Meade Original Buildings (1878-1879)}}
{{BldgLine|1|48|Commissary|1878| }}
{{BldgLine|2|47|Root Cellar|1879| }}
{{BldgLine|3|22|Post Trader's Home|1879| }}
{{BldgLine|4|21|Major Reno's Quarters|1879| }}
{{BldgLine|5|20|Single Officer's Quarters|1879| }}
{{BldgLine|6|6|Officer's Quarters|1879| }}
{{BldgLine|7|4&5|Mansard Officer's Quarters|1879| }}
{{BldgFooter}}
----
{|
{|
|
|
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="44.409091" lon="-103.470826" zoom="16" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="44.409091" lon="-103.470826" zoom="16" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
(F) 44.409367, -103.468562
(F) 44.40937, -103.46856, Fort Meade
Fort Meade<br>(1878-1944)
(1878-1944)
</googlemap>
</googlemap>
|valign="top"|
|valign="top"|
Line 39: Line 51:
* [http://www.northamericanforts.com/West/sdwest.html#meade North American Forts - Fort Meade]
* [http://www.northamericanforts.com/West/sdwest.html#meade North American Forts - Fort Meade]


{{Visited|29 Sep 2010}}
{{Visited|24 Jun 2020, 29 Sep 2010}}


=={{PAGENAME}} Picture Gallery==
== Picture Gallery ==
{{PictureHead}}
<gallery>
<gallery>
Image:Fort Meade 50 Guard House (Post Office).jpg|Fort Meade, Building 50, Guardhouse (now Post Office)
Image:Fort Meade 50 Guard House (Post Office).jpg|Fort Meade, Building 50, Guardhouse (now Post Office)
Line 58: Line 69:
[[Category:South Dakota Meade County]]
[[Category:South Dakota Meade County]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
[[Category:Preserved]]
[[Category:WWII POW Camps]]
[[Category:Federal Installation]]
[[Category:2010 Research Trip]]
[[Category:2020 Research Trip]]

Latest revision as of 19:56, 18 July 2020

Fort Meade (1) (1878-1944) - First established in 1878 as Camp Ruhlen by Maj. Henry M. Lazelle, 1st U.S. Infantry, and named after Lt. George Ruhlen (Cullum 2426), quartermaster in charge of construction. Renamed Fort Meade on 30 Dec 1878 after MG George G. Meade (Cullum 804) of U.S. Civil War fame. Transferred to the Veterans Administration in 1944 and now a VA hospital complex.

Fort Meade, Building 12, 1906 Commanding Officer Quarters.
Fort Meade Building 55, 1905 Post Headquarters (now Museum).
Fort Meade, Building 60, circa 1912 Enlisted Barracks.

History

Fort Meade, Building 110, Stables.

Established 28 Aug 1878 as Camp Ruhlen by Maj. Henry M. Lazelle, 1st U.S. Infantry on a site selected by Lt. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan in present-day Meade County, South Dakota. The Fort's mission was to control hostile Sioux Indians and protect the Black Hills mining operations.

Camp Sturgis was first established nearby to house the troops building the post. The troops moved to Camp Ruhlen on 28 Aug 1878 and construction began. The new post was renamed Fort Meade by the Department of Dakota General Order 27 on 30 Dec 1878. The initial post construction was complete in August 1879.

The plan of the fort was reportedly laid out by General Sheridan pointing out the locations of the buildings with his sword as he rode around the site. The post was laid out around a central parade that was a rounded rectangle. The officer's quarters were on the south side, the enlisted barracks on the north side, and the administrative buildings were at the ends with a headquarters building in the center of the north side. Nine stables, each housing 86 horses, lined the north side behind the barracks. The quartermaster had a commissary and a root cellar on the west side. Most of the early buildings were frame construction and they were replaced with stone and brick buildings over the years.

World War II

Fort Meade served as a training camp and a POW camp during World War II. In 1944 the post was turned over to the Veterans Administration and a new hospital complex was built north of the old post.

Current Status

Currently occupied by the Veterans Administration and the South Dakota Army National Guard. Many of the old post buildings are preserved and repurposed including many of the 1880s officer quarters and enlisted men's barracks. Seven of the original 1878-1879 buildings remain.

Fort Meade Original Buildings (1878-1879)
Map
Point
Bldg # Purpose Built Notes
1 48 Commissary 1878
2 47 Root Cellar 1879
3 22 Post Trader's Home 1879
4 21 Major Reno's Quarters 1879
5 20 Single Officer's Quarters 1879
6 6 Officer's Quarters 1879
7 4&5 Mansard Officer's Quarters 1879

{"selectable":false,"height":"-500","width":"-500"}

Location: Fort Meade, Meade County, South Dakota.

Maps & Images

Lat: 44.4105405 Long: -103.4671331

  • Multi Maps from ACME
  • Maps from Bing
  • Maps from Google
  • Elevation: 3,291'

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 731

Links:

Visited: 24 Jun 2020, 29 Sep 2010

Picture Gallery