Camp Ripley: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Bill Thayer (talk | contribs)
m Text replace - "== ReplaceText History ==" to "== History =="
 
(9 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{PageHeader}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1929-Active) - First established in 1929. Named after [[Fort Ripley (1)]], which in turn was named after Major General [[Eleazar W. Ripley]]. Active military installation.
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1929-Active) - First established in 1929. Named after [[Fort Ripley (1)]], which in turn was named after Major General [[Eleazar W. Ripley]]. Active military installation.
{|{{FWpicframe}}
{|{{FWpicframe}}
|- valign="top"
|- valign="top"
|width="50%"|[[File:Camp Ripley WWII Bks.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Camp Ripley WWII Style Barracks]]
|width="50%"|[[File:Camp Ripley WWII Bks.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Camp Ripley WWII Style Barracks]]
|width="50%"|[[File:Minnesota Mil Museum - 43.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Camp Ripley Minnesota Military Museum]]
|width="50%"|[[File:Minnesota Mil Museum - 43.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Camp Ripley Minnesota Military Museum Display]]
|-
|-
|colspan="2"|[[File:Camp Ripley - 05.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Camp Ripley Entrance Sign]]
|colspan="2"|[[File:Camp Ripley - 05.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Camp Ripley Entrance Sign]]
Line 10: Line 11:
|colspan="2"|[[File:Camp Ripley - 11.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Camp Ripley Massive Main Gate]]
|colspan="2"|[[File:Camp Ripley - 11.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Camp Ripley Massive Main Gate]]
|}
|}
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==
== History ==
Camp Ripley is an active 53,000-acre military and civilian training facility operated by the Minnesota National Guard.  It is located north of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 115.  The location of the camp was selected in 1929 by Ellard A. Walsh, Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota and took its name from the earlier frontier-era [[Fort Ripley (1)]], which in turn was named after Maine congressman and distinguished [[War of 1812]] veteran [[Eleazar W. Ripley]]. The remains of the old Fort Ripley are contained within the new camp's property boundaries.  Escort is require to visit the [[Fort Ripley (1)]] site and the camp cemetery.
[[File:Camp Ripley - 10.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Camp Ripley WPA Stone Fence and Turret]]
Camp Ripley is an active 53,000-acre military and civilian training facility operated by the Minnesota National Guard.  It is located north of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 115.  The location of the camp was selected in 1929 by [[Ellard A. Walsh]], Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota and took its name from the earlier frontier-era [[Fort Ripley (1)]], which in turn was named after Maine congressman and distinguished [[War of 1812]] veteran [[Eleazar W. Ripley]]. The remains of the old Fort Ripley are contained within the new camp's property boundaries.   
 
Construction of the camp facilities began in 1930. Between 1934 and 1942 the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA) did most of the construction on the post. The most visible WPA project is the main gate, the gate has four black granite towers and the two largest towers are 40 feet tall. Connected to the main gate is a black granite fence that was constructed of dry laid stones with octagonal turrets spaced out along the fence line.
 
In 1940 the post was capable of housing 12,000 men but it was built as a summer training facility and unsuited for housing troops in the severe Minnesota winters. The post was federalized at the beginning of World War II but because of the cold weather limitations it was returned to the State in 1943. Most federal troops were gone by October 1943.
 
Post World War II the camp was further built out and converted to a year round training facility with heated barracks and improved infrastructure.
 
{{Clr}}
 
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
[[File:Minnesota Mil Museum - 47.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Minnesota Military Museum]]
Active Military Installation. Visting the Camp:
Active Military Installation. Visting the Camp:
The Minnesota Military Museum, located at Camp Ripley, is open to the general public as well as military personnel.   
The Minnesota Military Museum, located at Camp Ripley, is open to the general public as well as military personnel.   
Line 24: Line 36:


[http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/camp_ripley/assets/CRBrochure2007.pdf Camp Brochure (48 page PDF)]
[http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/camp_ripley/assets/CRBrochure2007.pdf Camp Brochure (48 page PDF)]
Escort is require to visit the [[Fort Ripley (1)]] site and the camp cemetery.
{{Clr}}
----
{|
{|
|
|
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.0786" lon="-94.3457" zoom="13" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="46.0786" lon="-94.3457" zoom="13" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png">
(C) 46.0786, -94.3457, Camp Ripley
(C) 46.0786, -94.3457, Camp Ripley
</googlemap>
</googlemap>
Line 56: Line 73:




{{PageFooter}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Ripley}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Ripley}}
[[Category:All]]
[[Category:All]]

Latest revision as of 07:01, 23 September 2021

Camp Ripley (1929-Active) - First established in 1929. Named after Fort Ripley (1), which in turn was named after Major General Eleazar W. Ripley. Active military installation.

Camp Ripley WWII Style Barracks
Camp Ripley Minnesota Military Museum Display
Camp Ripley Entrance Sign
Camp Ripley Massive Main Gate

History

Camp Ripley WPA Stone Fence and Turret

Camp Ripley is an active 53,000-acre military and civilian training facility operated by the Minnesota National Guard. It is located north of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 115. The location of the camp was selected in 1929 by Ellard A. Walsh, Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota and took its name from the earlier frontier-era Fort Ripley (1), which in turn was named after Maine congressman and distinguished War of 1812 veteran Eleazar W. Ripley. The remains of the old Fort Ripley are contained within the new camp's property boundaries.

Construction of the camp facilities began in 1930. Between 1934 and 1942 the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA) did most of the construction on the post. The most visible WPA project is the main gate, the gate has four black granite towers and the two largest towers are 40 feet tall. Connected to the main gate is a black granite fence that was constructed of dry laid stones with octagonal turrets spaced out along the fence line.

In 1940 the post was capable of housing 12,000 men but it was built as a summer training facility and unsuited for housing troops in the severe Minnesota winters. The post was federalized at the beginning of World War II but because of the cold weather limitations it was returned to the State in 1943. Most federal troops were gone by October 1943.

Post World War II the camp was further built out and converted to a year round training facility with heated barracks and improved infrastructure.


Current Status

Minnesota Military Museum

Active Military Installation. Visting the Camp: The Minnesota Military Museum, located at Camp Ripley, is open to the general public as well as military personnel.

Hours are:

  • May - September: 10a.m. to 5p.m. (Daily except National Holidays)
  • October - April: 9.a.m. - 4 p.m. (Thursdays and Fridays)

Group tours can usually be arranged for other times upon request. There is no charge for admission but a $3 donation is requested from adults who are not presently in the military.

North of the camp at Brainerd there is a memorial to the members of the 194th Tank Battalion who died and sufferd on the Bataan Death March of WWII.

Camp Brochure (48 page PDF)

Escort is require to visit the Fort Ripley (1) site and the camp cemetery.



{"selectable":false,"height":"-500","width":"-500"}

Location: North of Little Falls, Minn. near the Junction of Highways 371 and 115 in Morrison County.

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.0786 Long: -94.3457

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 434

Links:

Visited: 9-11 Sep 2013

Camp Ripley Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!