Fort Concho: Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
Bot: Automated import of articles *** existing text overwritten *** |
||
(21 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{PageHeader}}{{External|wikidata=Q5470969|wikipedia=Fort_Concho}} | ||
'''Fort Concho (1867-1889)''' - The site was selected in November 1867 for a new post to replace [[Fort Chadbourne]], which lacked an adequate water supply. Company H of the [[4th U.S. Cavalry]] arrived there in Dec 1867. The post's first commanding officer, Captain [[George Gibson Huntt]], named the post [[Camp Hatch]] after the commander of his regiment, Major [[John Porter Hatch]]. Later it was called [[Camp Kelly]] for the late Major [[Michael J. Kelly]], and in March 1868 the post became Fort Concho, named after the Middle and North Concho rivers, which converge in San Angelo to form the Concho. | {SocialNetworks}} | ||
{'''Fort Concho (1867-1889)''' - The site was selected in November 1867 for a new post to replace [[Fort Chadbourne]], which lacked an adequate water supply. Company H of the [[4th U.S. Cavalry]] arrived there in Dec 1867. The post's first commanding officer, Captain [[George Gibson Huntt]]<!-- not USMA -->, named the post [[Camp Hatch]] after the commander of his regiment, Major [[John Porter Hatch]] {{Cullum|1247}}. Later it was called [[Camp Kelly]] for the late Major [[Michael J. Kelly]]<!-- not USMA -->, and in March 1868 the post became Fort Concho, named after the Middle and North Concho rivers, which converge in San Angelo to form the Concho. | |||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
|width="50%"|[[ | |width="50%"|[[File:Fort Concho Admin Bldg - 05.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Fort Concho Administrative Building]] | ||
|width="50%"|[[ | |width="50%"|[[File:Fort Concho Cmd Off Qtrs 1.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Fort Concho Commanding Officer Quarters.]] | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[ | |colspan="2"|[[File:Fort Concho Hosp - 4.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Concho Hospital.]] | ||
|} | |} | ||
== History == | |||
== | [[Image:FortConcho Map.jpg|thumb|300px|left|Fort Concho Plan]] | ||
[[Image:FortConcho Map.jpg|thumb|300px|left|Fort Concho]] | [[File:Fort Concho Barracks - 05.jpg|thumb|300px|left|Fort Concho Barracks]] | ||
In 1868 Fort Concho's commissary storehouse (today the oldest building in San Angelo) and its twin, the quartermaster storehouse | In 1868 Fort Concho's commissary storehouse (today the oldest building in San Angelo) and its twin, the quartermaster storehouse were constructed. Building materials had to be hauled from the Gulf Coast by ox cart. In 1876 an official report stated that "a flat, treeless, dreary prairie" surrounded the fort, but Captain [[Robert G. Carter]] {{Cullum|2349}} recalled Fort Concho in the 1870s as "one of the most beautiful and best-ordered posts on the Texas border. Its arrangement was artistic and every feature bespoke comfort and convenience. On the south side of the ample parade grounds stood the officers' quarters, tasty, elegant, imposing; on the north, the commodious and handsome barracks; on the east side the commissary and quartermaster's buildings, while the west side of the grounds was closed with an ornamental fence with a large gateway in the center." The government leased the land from private owners. | ||
The fort was not stockaded, but stone walls surrounded the hospital and the backyards of the officers' quarters. By 1879 Fort Concho was an eight-company post with some forty permanent structures built of locally quarried limestone around a parade ground that measured about 500 by 1,000 feet. Besides the buildings mentioned by Carter, the fort's stone buildings included stables, blacksmith and carpenter shops, a forage house, an ordnance storehouse, a guardhouse, a powder magazine, a pump house, a bakery, a hospital, an administration building, and a schoolhouse that was used also as a chapel. A number of temporary frame buildings-married soldiers' quarters, telegraph office, and post trader's store-were built adjacent to the fort. A belvedere on the post hospital afforded a distant view in every direction. | The fort was not stockaded, but stone walls surrounded the hospital and the backyards of the officers' quarters. By 1879 Fort Concho was an eight-company post with some forty permanent structures built of locally quarried limestone around a parade ground that measured about 500 by 1,000 feet. Besides the buildings mentioned by Carter, the fort's stone buildings included stables, blacksmith and carpenter shops, a forage house, an ordnance storehouse, a guardhouse, a powder magazine, a pump house, a bakery, a hospital, an administration building, and a schoolhouse that was used also as a chapel. A number of temporary frame buildings-married soldiers' quarters, telegraph office, and post trader's store-were built adjacent to the fort. A belvedere on the post-hospital afforded a distant view in every direction. | ||
Commanders of Fort Concho included such famous officers as [[William R. Shafter]], [[Ranald S. Mackenzie]], [[Benjamin H. Grierson]], [[John P. Hatch]], and [[Wesley Merritt]]. | Commanders of Fort Concho included such famous officers as [[William R. Shafter]], [[Ranald S. Mackenzie]] {{Cullum|1967}}, [[Benjamin H. Grierson]], [[John P. Hatch]], and [[Wesley Merritt]] {{Cullum|1868}}. | ||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
Fort Concho Units: | Fort Concho Units: | ||
Line 27: | Line 27: | ||
* Signal corps personnel, who managed telegraph and weather service | * Signal corps personnel, who managed telegraph and weather service | ||
Units from Fort Concho scouted and mapped large portions of West Texas; built roads and telegraph lines; escorted stagecoaches, cattle drives, and railroad survey parties; and served generally as a police force. At times Fort Concho troops were stationed at semipermanent | Units from Fort Concho scouted and mapped large portions of West Texas; built roads and telegraph lines; escorted stagecoaches, cattle drives, and railroad survey parties; and served generally as a police force. At times Fort Concho troops were stationed at semipermanent sub posts at Grierson's Spring, Camp Charlotte, and the head of the North Concho. Among the numerous temporary field camps were several former Butterfield Overland Mail stops such as Johnson's Station, Grape Creek Station, and old Fort Chadbourne. | ||
In the early years of the fort's existence, its soldiers skirmished with numerous small parties of Indians. Fort Concho also furnished personnel and supplies for three major Indian campaigns: Mackenzie's 1872 campaign, the 1874 [[Red River War]], and the Victorio campaign of 1879-80. | In the early years of the fort's existence, its soldiers skirmished with numerous small parties of Indians. Fort Concho also furnished personnel and supplies for three major Indian campaigns: Mackenzie's 1872 campaign, the 1874 [[Red River War]], and the Victorio campaign of 1879-80. | ||
The army abandoned the fort on June 20, 1889. | The army abandoned the fort on June 20, 1889. | ||
{{FtConchoCmdrs}} | |||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
Today the fort contains 23 main structures, mostly original or restored, but some reconstructions. These structures include a Headquarters, Officers' Quarters, Soldiers' Barracks, and the Post Hospital. The fort was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. | [[File:Fort Concho Marker - 5.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort Concho Markers]] | ||
Must See! Today the fort contains 23 main structures, mostly original or restored, but some reconstructions. These structures include a Headquarters, Officers' Quarters, Soldiers' Barracks, and the Post Hospital. The fort was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. | |||
{{Clr}} | {{Clr}} | ||
---- | ---- | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="31.45496" lon="-100.43131" zoom="16" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="31.45496" lon="-100.43131" zoom="16" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(F) 31. | (F) 31.45406, -100.42983, Fort Concho | ||
Fort Concho | (1867-1889) | ||
</googlemap> | </googlemap> | ||
|valign="top"| | |valign="top"| | ||
'''Location:''' San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas | '''Location:''' San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas. | ||
{{Mapit-US-cityscale|31.45496|-100.43131}} | {{Mapit-US-cityscale|31.45496|-100.43131}} | ||
* Elevation: 1,844' | * Elevation: 1,844' | ||
|valign="top"| | |||
<br> | |||
'''GPS Locations:''' | |||
* {{GPSLinkLong|Lat=31.45406|Lon=-100.42983}} Fort Concho | |||
|} | |} | ||
'''See Also:''' | |||
* [[Red River War]] | |||
'''Sources:''' | '''Sources:''' | ||
* Robert G. | * {{Roberts}}, page 758. | ||
* J. Evetts | * {{Hart}}, page 157-158. | ||
* Frank M. | * Carter, Robert G., '''''On the Border with Mackenzie, or Winning West Texas from the Comanches''''', Washington: Eynon Printing, 1935 Fort Concho Report. | ||
* Haley, J. Evetts, '''''Fort Concho and the Texas Frontier''''', San Angelo Standard-Times, 1952. | |||
* Temple, Frank M., '''''Colonel B. H. Grierson's Administration of the District of the Pecos''''', West Texas Historical Association Year Book 38, 1962. | |||
'''Links:''' | '''Links:''' | ||
* [http://www.northamericanforts.com/West/tx-west.html#concho North American Forts - Fort Concho] | * [http://www.northamericanforts.com/West/tx-west.html#concho North American Forts - Fort Concho] | ||
* [ | * [https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbf11 Texas Handbook - Fort Concho] | ||
* [http://www.militaryghosts.com/concho.html Fort Concho Ghosts] | * [http://www.militaryghosts.com/concho.html Fort Concho Ghosts] | ||
{{Visited|16 Nov 2011}} | {{Visited|27 Apr 2015, 16 Nov 2011}} | ||
__NOTOC__ | __NOTOC__ | ||
__NOEDITSECTION__ | __NOEDITSECTION__ | ||
{{PageFooter}} | |||
{{DEFAULTSORT:Concho}} | {{DEFAULTSORT:Concho}} | ||
[[Category:All]] | [[Category:All]] | ||
[[Category:Texas All]] | |||
[[Category:Texas Forts]] | [[Category:Texas Forts]] | ||
[[Category:Texas Tom Green County]] | [[Category:Texas Tom Green County]] | ||
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] | ||
[[Category:Must See]] | |||
[[Category:2011-2012 Trip]] | [[Category:2011-2012 Trip]] | ||
[[Category:2015 Research Trip]] |
Latest revision as of 06:01, 26 February 2025
More information at Warlike, Wikipedia
{SocialNetworks}} {Fort Concho (1867-1889) - The site was selected in November 1867 for a new post to replace Fort Chadbourne, which lacked an adequate water supply. Company H of the 4th U.S. Cavalry arrived there in Dec 1867. The post's first commanding officer, Captain George Gibson Huntt, named the post Camp Hatch after the commander of his regiment, Major John Porter Hatch (Cullum 1247). Later it was called Camp Kelly for the late Major Michael J. Kelly, and in March 1868 the post became Fort Concho, named after the Middle and North Concho rivers, which converge in San Angelo to form the Concho.
History![]() ![]() In 1868 Fort Concho's commissary storehouse (today the oldest building in San Angelo) and its twin, the quartermaster storehouse were constructed. Building materials had to be hauled from the Gulf Coast by ox cart. In 1876 an official report stated that "a flat, treeless, dreary prairie" surrounded the fort, but Captain Robert G. Carter (Cullum 2349) recalled Fort Concho in the 1870s as "one of the most beautiful and best-ordered posts on the Texas border. Its arrangement was artistic and every feature bespoke comfort and convenience. On the south side of the ample parade grounds stood the officers' quarters, tasty, elegant, imposing; on the north, the commodious and handsome barracks; on the east side the commissary and quartermaster's buildings, while the west side of the grounds was closed with an ornamental fence with a large gateway in the center." The government leased the land from private owners. The fort was not stockaded, but stone walls surrounded the hospital and the backyards of the officers' quarters. By 1879 Fort Concho was an eight-company post with some forty permanent structures built of locally quarried limestone around a parade ground that measured about 500 by 1,000 feet. Besides the buildings mentioned by Carter, the fort's stone buildings included stables, blacksmith and carpenter shops, a forage house, an ordnance storehouse, a guardhouse, a powder magazine, a pump house, a bakery, a hospital, an administration building, and a schoolhouse that was used also as a chapel. A number of temporary frame buildings-married soldiers' quarters, telegraph office, and post trader's store-were built adjacent to the fort. A belvedere on the post-hospital afforded a distant view in every direction. Commanders of Fort Concho included such famous officers as William R. Shafter, Ranald S. Mackenzie (Cullum 1967), Benjamin H. Grierson, John P. Hatch, and Wesley Merritt (Cullum 1868).
Units from Fort Concho scouted and mapped large portions of West Texas; built roads and telegraph lines; escorted stagecoaches, cattle drives, and railroad survey parties; and served generally as a police force. At times Fort Concho troops were stationed at semipermanent sub posts at Grierson's Spring, Camp Charlotte, and the head of the North Concho. Among the numerous temporary field camps were several former Butterfield Overland Mail stops such as Johnson's Station, Grape Creek Station, and old Fort Chadbourne. In the early years of the fort's existence, its soldiers skirmished with numerous small parties of Indians. Fort Concho also furnished personnel and supplies for three major Indian campaigns: Mackenzie's 1872 campaign, the 1874 Red River War, and the Victorio campaign of 1879-80. The army abandoned the fort on June 20, 1889.
Current Status![]() Must See! Today the fort contains 23 main structures, mostly original or restored, but some reconstructions. These structures include a Headquarters, Officers' Quarters, Soldiers' Barracks, and the Post Hospital. The fort was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
See Also: Sources:
Links: Visited: 27 Apr 2015, 16 Nov 2011
|