Fort Huger (2): Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
m Text replace - "width="500"" to "width="-500" height="-500""
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
 
Line 1: Line 1:
{{PageHeader}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{SocialNetworks}}
{{PageHeader}}
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1861-1862) - A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the [[U.S. Civil War]] by Colonel [[Andrew Talcott]], CSA {{Cullum|181}}, on the James River in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Named for Confederate Major General [[Benjamin Huger]], CSA, {{Cullum|399}}, who commanded the Confederate Department of Norfolk. Abandoned in 1862 and occupied by Union troops.
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1861-1862) - A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the [[U.S. Civil War]] by Colonel [[Andrew Talcott]], CSA {{Cullum|181}}, on the James River in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Named for Confederate Major General [[Benjamin Huger]], CSA {{Cullum|399}}, who commanded the Confederate Department of Norfolk. Abandoned in 1862 and occupied by Union troops.


{|{{FWpicframe}}
{|{{FWpicframe}}
|- valign="top"
|- valign="top"
|width="50%"|[[File:Shell House.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Fort Huger Shell House]]
|width="50%"|[[File:Shell House.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Fort Huger Shell House]]
|width="50%"|[[File:N Bastion -3.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Fort Huger North Bastion Replica Cannons]]
|width="50%"|[[File:N Bastion -3.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Fort Huger North Bastion Replica Cannons]]
|-
|-
|colspan="2"|[[File:Ctr Wall.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Huger Center Wall]]
|colspan="2"|[[File:Ctr Wall.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Huger Center Wall]]
Line 12: Line 12:
== [[U.S. Civil War]] (1861-1865) ==
== [[U.S. Civil War]] (1861-1865) ==
A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the [[U.S. Civil War]] by Colonel [[Andrew Talcott]], CSA, one of several fortifications along the James River in defense of the approaches to Richmond.
A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the [[U.S. Civil War]] by Colonel [[Andrew Talcott]], CSA, one of several fortifications along the James River in defense of the approaches to Richmond.
[[File:Ctr Wall-2.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort Huger Gun Emplacements and Platforms. The 2 water filled holes are the remnants of the Bombproofs.]]
[[File:Ctr Wall-2.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Fort Huger Gun Emplacements and Platforms. The 2 water-filled holes are the remnants of the Bombproofs.]]
Fort Huger was situated on the south side of the James River, directly across from a Confederate gun battery at Mulberry Point. The Fort had 15 gun emplacements along the river side but little protection on the landward side. A road through the swamp at the rear of the fort led right up to the rear sallyport. The fort interior included a magazine, a shot furnace, and a shell house. The fort was built under the supervision of Captains E.T.D. Myers and John Clarke by a number of slaves and free blacks. The Fort was mostly complete by March 1862 but not yet fully armed. The post was manned by five companies, two artillery companies inside the fort, and three infantry companies outside the fort.
Fort Huger was situated on the south side of the James River, directly across from a Confederate gun battery at Mulberry Point. The Fort had 15 gun emplacements along the riverside but little protection on the landward side. A road through the swamp at the rear of the fort led right up to the rear sallyport. The fort interior included a magazine, a shot furnace, and a shell house. The fort was built under the supervision of Captains E.T.D. Myers and John Clarke by a number of slaves and free blacks. The Fort was mostly complete by March 1862 but not yet fully armed. The post was manned by five companies, two artillery companies inside the fort, and three infantry companies outside the fort.


On 8 May 1862  a set of Union warships including the ironclad U.S.S. Galena attacked both [[Fort Boykin]] and Fort Huger, silencing [[Fort Boykin]] and damaging Fort Huger. Lacking enough shells to finish the job, the Union fleet backed off and returned on the 16th of May with reinforcements in the form of the U.S.S. Monitor. After the battle the Confederates abandoned the fort and spiked the guns.
On 8 May 1862  a set of Union warships including the ironclad U.S.S. Galena attacked both [[Fort Boykin]] and Fort Huger, silencing [[Fort Boykin]] and damaging Fort Huger. Lacking enough shells to finish the job, the Union fleet backed off and returned on the 16th of May with reinforcements in the form of the U.S.S. Monitor. After the battle, the Confederates abandoned the fort and spiked the guns.


[[File:Fort Huger Plan 7476307.jpg|795px|thumb|left|Fort Huger Plan]]
[[File:Fort Huger Plan 7476307.jpg|795px|thumb|left|Fort Huger Plan]]

Latest revision as of 16:20, 20 January 2020

Fort Huger (2) (1861-1862) - A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War by Colonel Andrew Talcott, CSA (Cullum 181), on the James River in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Named for Confederate Major General Benjamin Huger, CSA, (Cullum 399), who commanded the Confederate Department of Norfolk. Abandoned in 1862 and occupied by Union troops.

Fort Huger Shell House
Fort Huger North Bastion Replica Cannons
Fort Huger Center Wall

U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)

A Confederate Fort established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War by Colonel Andrew Talcott, CSA, one of several fortifications along the James River in defense of the approaches to Richmond.

Fort Huger Gun Emplacements and Platforms. The 2 water-filled holes are the remnants of the Bombproofs.

Fort Huger was situated on the south side of the James River, directly across from a Confederate gun battery at Mulberry Point. The Fort had 15 gun emplacements along the riverside but little protection on the landward side. A road through the swamp at the rear of the fort led right up to the rear sallyport. The fort interior included a magazine, a shot furnace, and a shell house. The fort was built under the supervision of Captains E.T.D. Myers and John Clarke by a number of slaves and free blacks. The Fort was mostly complete by March 1862 but not yet fully armed. The post was manned by five companies, two artillery companies inside the fort, and three infantry companies outside the fort.

On 8 May 1862 a set of Union warships including the ironclad U.S.S. Galena attacked both Fort Boykin and Fort Huger, silencing Fort Boykin and damaging Fort Huger. Lacking enough shells to finish the job, the Union fleet backed off and returned on the 16th of May with reinforcements in the form of the U.S.S. Monitor. After the battle, the Confederates abandoned the fort and spiked the guns.

Fort Huger Plan


Current Status

Fort Huger County Park, Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Fort is restored and has mounted replica cannons in place.


{"selectable":false,"height":"-500","width":"-500"}

Location: 15080 Talcott Terrace, Smithfield, VA 23430 County Park, Isle of Wight County, Virginia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 37.10938 Long: -76.65780

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 15 May 2013