Battery Walker: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 3: Line 3:
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
[[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Battery Walker]]
[[Image:Fort Stevens - Batt Walker.jpg|300px|thumb|left|Battery Walker]]
[[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station]]
[[Image:FtStevens BtyWalker - 1.jpg|310px|thumb|right|Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station]]
{{Clr}}
{{Clr}}
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==
== {{PAGENAME}} History ==

Revision as of 16:41, 1 June 2008

Battery Walker (1897-1920) - Battery Walker was built at Fort Stevens between Sep 1896 and Apr 1898 and was transferred for service 3 Apr 1898. Originally one of three sets of emplacements called West Battery. Battery Walker was named in 1905 for Col. Leverett H. Walker who died 29 Oct 1907.

Battery Walker
Battery Walker from West Battery Control Station


Battery Walker History

A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with 2, 10" rifles on disappearing carriages.

Current Status

Fair condition and open to the public.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: On Fort Stevens, Oregon

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.207116 Long: -123.969217

Sources:

Links:


Visited: 18 May 2008, 2 Feb 2008

Battery Walker Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!