Fort Dakota: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
Line 13: Line 13:
The post was built during the 1862 Sioux Indian Uprising to protect the settlers and guard the Sioux Country border. On 25 Aug 1862 two prominent settlers were killed at Sioux Falls in the Dakota Territory by hostile Sioux Indians. These killings caused the remaining settlers and a cavalry detachment to abandon the area and retreat to the territorial capital at Yankton. The fort was established as [[Fort Brookings]] on 5 May 1865 by Capt. [[Daniel F. Eicher]], [[6th Iowa Cavalry]]. Construction materials arrived from Sioux City in 48 oxen drawn wagons.
The post was built during the 1862 Sioux Indian Uprising to protect the settlers and guard the Sioux Country border. On 25 Aug 1862 two prominent settlers were killed at Sioux Falls in the Dakota Territory by hostile Sioux Indians. These killings caused the remaining settlers and a cavalry detachment to abandon the area and retreat to the territorial capital at Yankton. The fort was established as [[Fort Brookings]] on 5 May 1865 by Capt. [[Daniel F. Eicher]], [[6th Iowa Cavalry]]. Construction materials arrived from Sioux City in 48 oxen drawn wagons.


After the end of the [[U.S. Civil War]], regular U.S. Army troops were sent to relieve the Iowa volunteer troops. On 8 Jun 1866 Company "D", [[13th U.S. Infantry]] relieved Company "M"  of the [[7th Iowa Cavalry]], garrisoned the post and renamed it Fort Dakota. Only four buildings had been built by the volunteers, two barracks, a stone commissary and a stable. Col. [[Kilburn Knox]], the new commander, improved and enlarging the post and it grew to some 18 buildings including a round, 15 foot high stone tower, thirty feet in diameter that mounted two 12 pounder mountain howitzers. The fort was abandoned 18 Jun 1869 after the reservation had been transferred to the Interior Department. The men and materials were moved to [[Fort Randall]].
After the end of the [[U.S. Civil War]], regular U.S. Army troops were sent to relieve the Iowa volunteer troops. On 8 Jun 1866 Company "D", [[13th U.S. Infantry]] relieved Company "M"  of the [[7th Iowa Cavalry]], garrisoned the post and renamed it Fort Dakota. Only four buildings had been built by the volunteers, two barracks, a stone commissary and a stable. Col. [[Kilburn Knox]], the new commander, improved and enlarged the post to some 18 buildings including a round, 15 foot high stone tower, thirty feet in diameter that mounted two 12 pounder mountain howitzers. The fort was abandoned 18 Jun 1869 after the reservation had been transferred to the Interior Department. The men and materials were moved to [[Fort Randall]].
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
Only a marker and a plaque remain.
Only a marker and a plaque remain.

Revision as of 15:34, 25 September 2010

Fort Dakota (1865-1869) - Established in 5 May 1865 by Capt. Daniel F. Eicher, 6th Iowa Cavalry as Fort Brookings and later renamed Fort Dakota. The post location was chosen by Ltc. John Patee under the orders of BG Alfred Sully. Abandoned in 1869.

Fort Dakota marker Side 1
Fort Dakota marker Side 2
Fort Dakota Marker Location

Fort Dakota History

Fort Dakota was established on the west bank of the Big Sioux River in present day Sioux Falls, Minehaha County, South Dakota.

The post was built during the 1862 Sioux Indian Uprising to protect the settlers and guard the Sioux Country border. On 25 Aug 1862 two prominent settlers were killed at Sioux Falls in the Dakota Territory by hostile Sioux Indians. These killings caused the remaining settlers and a cavalry detachment to abandon the area and retreat to the territorial capital at Yankton. The fort was established as Fort Brookings on 5 May 1865 by Capt. Daniel F. Eicher, 6th Iowa Cavalry. Construction materials arrived from Sioux City in 48 oxen drawn wagons.

After the end of the U.S. Civil War, regular U.S. Army troops were sent to relieve the Iowa volunteer troops. On 8 Jun 1866 Company "D", 13th U.S. Infantry relieved Company "M" of the 7th Iowa Cavalry, garrisoned the post and renamed it Fort Dakota. Only four buildings had been built by the volunteers, two barracks, a stone commissary and a stable. Col. Kilburn Knox, the new commander, improved and enlarged the post to some 18 buildings including a round, 15 foot high stone tower, thirty feet in diameter that mounted two 12 pounder mountain howitzers. The fort was abandoned 18 Jun 1869 after the reservation had been transferred to the Interior Department. The men and materials were moved to Fort Randall.

Current Status

Only a marker and a plaque remain.

{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Sioux Falls, Minehaha County, South Dakota.

Maps & Images

Lat: 43.548844 Long: -96.727393

  • Multi Maps from ACME
  • Maps from Bing
  • Maps from Google
  • Elevation: 1,470'

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 728
  • Barnes, Jeff, Forts of the Northern Plains - Guide to Historic Military Posts of the Plains Indian Wars, Copyright 2008, Stackpole Books, ISBN 13: 978-0-8117-3496-7, ISBN 10: 0-8117-3496-X, page 144-145

Links:

Visited: 25 Sep 2010

Fort Dakota Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!