Fort Scott (3): Difference between revisions
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1816-1821) - First established as [[Camp Crawford (2)]] in 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel [[Duncan L. Clinch]], [[4th U.S. Infantry]]. Renamed Fort Scott after Lieutenant [[R.W. Scott]], who was killed at the Fort site. Briefly abandoned in 1816 and reoccupied in early 1817, finally abandoned and dismantled in 1821. | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1816-1821) - First established as [[Camp Crawford (2)]] in 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel [[Duncan L. Clinch]], [[4th U.S. Infantry]]. Renamed Fort Scott after Lieutenant [[R.W. Scott]], who was killed at the Fort site. Briefly abandoned in 1816 and reoccupied in early 1817, finally abandoned and dismantled in 1821. | ||
{|width="795px" cellpadding="5px" | {|width="795px" cellpadding="5px" | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
Line 7: | Line 7: | ||
|width="50%"|[[Image:.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Fort Scott]] | |width="50%"|[[Image:.jpg|300px|thumb|right|Fort Scott]] | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[Image:.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Scott]] | |colspan="2"|[[Image:Fort Scott - 1.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Fort Scott Marker]] | ||
|} | |} | ||
== {{PAGENAME}} History == | == {{PAGENAME}} History == | ||
Established in June 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel [[Duncan L. Clinch]], [[4th U.S. Infantry]], on the west bank of the Lower Flint River near present day Bainbridge, Georgia. The purpose of the fort was to control hostile Creek Indians (Red Sticks). Fort Scott soldiers attacked a Creek village on 21 Nov 1817 starting the [[Seminole War I|First Seminole War]]. The Creeks and Seminoles answered on 30 Nov 1817 by attacking a U.S. Army boat killing nearly 40 men, women and children. | Established in June 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel [[Duncan L. Clinch]], [[4th U.S. Infantry]], on the west bank of the Lower Flint River near present day Bainbridge, Georgia. The purpose of the fort was to control hostile Creek Indians (Red Sticks). Fort Scott soldiers attacked a Creek village on 21 Nov 1817 starting the [[Seminole War I|First Seminole War]]. The Creeks and Seminoles answered on 30 Nov 1817 by attacking a U.S. Army boat killing nearly 40 men, women and children. |
Revision as of 19:16, 19 January 2012
Fort Scott (3) (1816-1821) - First established as Camp Crawford (2) in 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel Duncan L. Clinch, 4th U.S. Infantry. Renamed Fort Scott after Lieutenant R.W. Scott, who was killed at the Fort site. Briefly abandoned in 1816 and reoccupied in early 1817, finally abandoned and dismantled in 1821.
![]() |
Fort Scott (3) History
Established in June 1816 by Lieutenant Colonel Duncan L. Clinch, 4th U.S. Infantry, on the west bank of the Lower Flint River near present day Bainbridge, Georgia. The purpose of the fort was to control hostile Creek Indians (Red Sticks). Fort Scott soldiers attacked a Creek village on 21 Nov 1817 starting the First Seminole War. The Creeks and Seminoles answered on 30 Nov 1817 by attacking a U.S. Army boat killing nearly 40 men, women and children.
General Andrew Jackson arrived with an army of more than 1,000 men from Fort Early in the spring of 1818. Jackson used Fort Scott as an initial base to invade Florida and destroy many Creek and Seminole villages.
Briefly abandoned in December 1816 and reoccupied in the spring of 1817 by Captain S. Donoho and a company of artillerymen. Finally abandoned and dismantled in September 1821 after Florida had been ceded to the United State. The garrison was transferred to Fort Smith (2), Arkansas.
Current Status
Historical Georgia State Marker on the south side of the river at Hutchinson's Ferry Landing and two cannons from Fort Scott in J.D. Chason Memorial Park, Bainbridge, Decatur County, Georgia.
{"selectable":false,"width":"500"} |
Location: Decatur County, Georgia. Maps & Images Lat: 30.7758333 Long: -84.7672222 |
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 236
Links:
Visited: 19 Jan 2012
Fort Scott (3) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better! |