Fort Reading: Difference between revisions

From FortWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
John Stanton (talk | contribs)
m Text replace - "</gallery>" to "</gallery> |}"
Line 40: Line 40:
Image:Fort Reading - 03.jpg|Fort Reading Marker
Image:Fort Reading - 03.jpg|Fort Reading Marker
</gallery>
</gallery>
{{PageFooter}}


__NOTOC__
__NOTOC__

Revision as of 19:40, 7 February 2015

Fort Reading (1852-1856) (1866-1867) - A U.S. Army post established 26 May 1852 during the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. Nelson H. Davis, Company E, 2nd U.S. Infantry and named for Major Pierson B. Reading. The garrison was withdrawn on 1 Apr 1856 and intermittently occupied until 13 Jun 1867. Abandoned on 6 Apr 1870.

Fort Reading Roadside Marker
Fort Reading Site View from Marker


History of Fort Reading

Established as a two company post on the west side of Cow Creek during the California Gold Rush to protect the mining district from hostile Indians. The creek was prone to flooding when the rains came and the fort was often flooded during the rainy season.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: On Dersch road 0.6 mi E of intersection of Deschutes and Dersch Rds, 6 mi NE of Anderson, Shasta County, California. The location shown is the site of the roadside marker.

Maps & Images

Lat: 40.476554 Long: -122.229992

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 4 Aug 2009

Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

|}