Battery Freeman

From FortWiki
Revision as of 20:01, 5 June 2008 by John Stanton (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Battery Freeman (1902-1920) - Battery Freeman was built at Fort Stevens between Jul 1900 and Dec 1901 and was transferred for service 12 Nov 1900 at a total cost of $39,936.42. The battery was named on 27 Dec 1904 for Bvt.Col. Constant Freeman, Corps of Artillery, who served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

View of the site of Battery Freeman inside the Earthworks Fort


Battery Freeman History

A concrete Endicott Period battery facing the mouth of the Columbia River with two, 6" guns in barbette carriages and one 3" gun in a barbette carriage. The two, 6" guns were mounted in a concrete emplacement on the left side of the interior of the earthworks fort and the single 3" gun was mounted in a concrete emplacement on the right side.

The carriages were not available until Dec 1905 and the guns were mounted after the carriages were installed. The 6" guns were removed in 1917 and sent to Willapa Bay on the North Coast of Cape Disappointment. The 3" gun remained in place until 1920.

Current Status

No traces remain, destroyed in 1941 to make way for a parade ground.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: On Fort Stevens, Oregon

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.206975 Long: -123.963

Sources:

Links:


Visited: 18 May 2008

Battery Freeman Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!