Fort Lee (4)

From FortWiki
Revision as of 10:08, 24 November 2015 by John Stanton (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "==ReplaceText Picture Gallery== {| cellspacing="5" width="800px" border="1" cellpadding="5" | |- valign="top" |width="33%" class="MainPageBG" style="border: 1px solid #c6c9ff; color: #000; background-color: #f0f0ff"| '''Click on the pictu)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Fort Lee (4) (1917-Present) - First established in 1917 as Camp Lee (1). Named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee (Cullum 542). Active military installation.

Original WWII Camp Lee Gate Marker
Fort Lee Water Tower
Fort Lee Quartermaster Museum

World War I (1917-1918)

Camp Lee was one of sixteen U.S. Army National Army Mobilization and Training Camps established in 1917 to train and integrate National Army units for service in a U.S. Army division. Camp Lee was established in July 1917 under the supervision of construction quartermasters Major F. B. Edwards, Major E. K. Coe and Major E. H. Abadie. The camp was to have a capacity of about 74,000 officers and enlisted men that would become the 80th U.S. Infantry Division and train other individual units. The camp was mostly complete in October 1917 at an eventual cost of $ 19,600,000

The first commander of the camp was Major General Adelbert Cronkhite (Cullum 2941), who formed the 80th U.S. Infantry Division on 27 Aug 1917 and initiated troop training. The 80th arrived at Camp Lee in September 1917 and departed for France in June 1918. The 80th distinguished itself in combat suffering 1,141 killed and 5,622 wounded. The 80th returned to the U.S. via the Newport News Port of Embarkation in May 1919 and was demobilized on 26 Jun 1919.

At the end of the war the camp became a demobilization center until it was abandoned.The temporary buildings were removed with portions of the reservation made into a wildlife preserve and part given to the Petersburg National Battlefield. Some portion of the reservation remained as a military post.

World War II (1941-1945)

Repurposed WWII Barracks

Camp Lee was reconstructed on the original site in 1940 as World War II became inevitable. The post became an Army Quartermaster Corps Replacement Center in 1941. The camp evolved into the center for both the basic and advanced Quartermaster training.

In the last year of the war, Camp Lee housed some 1,000 German prisoners of war. The Germans began arriving in February of 1944 from Italy and North Africa and continued through the end of the war.

After the war, Camp Lee was kept as a permanent center for Quartermaster training and the post was renamed Fort Lee.

Current Status

U.S. Army Women's Museum on Fort Lee

Active military installation. Two museums on base, the Quartermaster Museum and the U.S. Army Women's Museum. The U.S. Army Ordnance Museum which had a rich collection of U.S. and captured enemy fixed and mobile weapons systems is being moved from Aberdeen Proving Ground to Fort Lee.


{"selectable":false,"width":"500"}

Location: Prince George County, Virginia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 37.249053 Long: -77.332431

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 813

Links:

Visited: 6 Apr 2012