Battery 155 - Butler Point
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery 155 - Butler Point (1942-1943) - Battery 155 - Butler Point was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts located on Butler Point, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, supported from Fort Rodman. Battery construction started in 1942, was completed in 1942 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use in 1942. Deactivated in 1943 as Battery AMTB 934 came on line.
Part of the Harbor Defense of New Bedford.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918M1 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918A1 Mobile Carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts.
Private Property. No period guns or mounts in place but the Panama mounts are still visible.
Location: Butler Point, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Maps & Images Lat: 41.676568 Long: -70.716197
- * U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, FUDS Archives Search Report, Findings, Butler Point AMTB Battery, Project No. D01MA050601, October 1994, Rock Island District, U.S.A.C.E., Marion, Massachusetts. Large PDF Download
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of New Bedford, (CC-SUP-NEWB-43), 1 Feb 1945, CDSG
Battery 155 - Butler Point Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!