|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery AA5 (1920-1945) - Battery AA5 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 3 inch anti-aircraft gun battery on Fort Funston, California. Battery construction started in 1920, with two gun plugs and guns mounted in 1925. An additional gun plug and gun was added in 1938. A magazine and power room were added in 1943. Deactivated in 1945.
Battery AA5 History
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built in 1920 as a two gun anti-aircraft battery with two anti-aircraft 3" M1917MI guns mounted on M1917 carriages. A third 3" M1917MI gun mounted on a M1917 carriage was added in 1938. A magazine and power room were added in 1943.
|1||3" Rifle||?"||M1917MI||97||Watervliet||Pedestal, M1917, #125, Watertown||1925-1945||See note 1|
|2||3" Rifle||?"||M1917MI||116||Watervliet||Pedestal, M1917, #157, Watertown||1925-1945||See note 1|
|3||3" Rifle||?"||M1917MI||?||Watervliet||Pedestal, M1917, #?, Watertown||1938-1945||See note 1|
|Source: Kent, Matthew W., Harbor Defenses of San Francisco - A Field Guide 1890 to 1950, Copyright 2009, Blurb, ISBN 978-1-61584-163-9 Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 76-77, 214|
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. Magazine, power room and remains of the three gun plug visible. No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Fort Funston, California
Maps & Images Lat: 37.722893 Long: -122.503867
Visited: 24 Aug 2009
Battery AA5 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!