Category:Harbor Defense of Prince Rupert
World War II Defenses
In 1936, Major B.D.C. Treatt, Royal Artillery, recommended a defense for Prince Rupert that included a modern 6 inch battery with 45 degree mountings, a 6 pounder duplex gun battery, anti-motor torpedo boat (AMTB) battery, a 12 pounder battery for close defense, and boom and net defenses.
The fixed coast batteries were constructed between 1938 and 1940 and were first armed with available ordnance. The defenses included a spiked boom at Dundas Point across the northern Venn Passage and torpedo/submarine nets across the main shipping channel south of the harbor.
In early 1942 two 8-inch American railway guns were sent to beef up the Prince Rupert defenses for a growing U.S. presence at Prince Rupert. The U.S. Army built a large ammunition depot 10 miles south of Prince Rupert that included 180 building and 23 ammunition bunkers. A large U.S. Army warehouse was built at the docks. These facilities provided a major logistics base for the Aleutian Campaign.
|Coastal Batteries||Anti-Aircraft Batteries||Fire Control Stations|
- Morgan, David, Prince Rupert Defenses, 1938-1945, GDSG Journal, Vol 14, Issue 2, May 2000, pages 15-28
- Morgan, David, Addendum to "Prince Rupert Defenses, 1938-1945", GDSG Journal, Vol 14, Issue 3, Aug 2000, pages 94-95
- Rowse, Sue Harper, In Times of War: Prince Rupert 1939-1945, Lulu.com, 2005, ISBN 1411639278, ISBN 9781411639270, 176 pages