Cathcart Tower (1848-1870) - A Martello tower defense established in 1848 on Cedar Island in the St. Lawrence River near Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Abandoned as a fortification circa 1870.
Built as one of six Martello towers between 1846-1848 in Kingston Harbor during the height of the boundary dispute with the United States known as the "Oregon Crisis". The six towers are listed below:
The six Martello towers were (West to East):
The advent of rifled cannon during the U.S. Civil War made the masonry Martello towers obsolete and ineffective as defensive structures. The towers continued in use as barracks and for other support functions until the departure of British troops in 1870 after Canadian Confederation.
Not open to the public. Visible from Fort Henry (3) and the ferry to Wolf Island.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 29 Jul 2012