|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Armistead (1896-1928) - An Endicott period Coastal Defense fort named in G.O. 134, 22 Jul 1899, for Major George Armistead, commander of Fort McHenry during the British bombardment in the War of 1812. Located at Hawkins Point, Baltimore County, Maryland. Abandoned in 1923 and claimed by the City of Baltimore in 1928. Used as a Navy ammunition dump during World War II and returned to the City in 1947.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Baltimore. Established to protect the entrance to Baltimore Harbor in 1896.
Initially garrisoned by a detachment from Fort McHenry. Battery Winchester and Battery McFarland were begun in 1897 and accepted for service in January 1900. Battery Irons was begun in 1898 and also accepted for service in January of 1900. Battery Mudge wasn't begun until 1899 and was accepted for service in May 1900.
A mining casemate was accepted for service on 16 Jun 1902 at a cost of $ 10,202.29 and a primary mine command station was accepted for service on 15 Jun 1906 at a cost of $ 2,826.55.
Click on Battery links below
|No.||Caliber||Type Mount||Service Years||Battery Cost||Notes|
|Battery Winchester||1||12"||Disappearing Carriage||1897-1899-1900-1918||$ 140,383*||Gun to Fort Wadsworth|
26 Jul 1918
|Battery McFarland||3||8"||Disappearing Carriage||1897-1899-1900-1917||$ 140,383*|
|Battery Irons||2||4.72"||British Armstrong on
|Battery Mudge||2||3"||Masking Parapet Mounts||1899-1900-1901-1920||$ 6,860||Only base rings visible|
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. On 24 Aug 1917 the three 8" guns of Battery McFarland were ordered dismounted for use abroad and the single 12" gun of Battery Winchester was transferred to Fort Wadsworth on 26 Jul 1918. In 1920 the two 3" guns were removed from Battery Mudge and transferred to the Watervliet Arsenal on 11 Aug 1920, as a part of the 1920 Disarmament Program. The guns of Battery Irons had been previously removed in 1913. Fort Armistead was completely disarmed by June 1920, abandoned in 1923 and claimed by the City of Baltimore in 1928.
Used as a Navy ammunition dump during World War II and returned to the City in 1947.
Post World War II
Site of a 4 gun 90mm anti-aircraft battery 1952-1954.
Fort Armistead Baltimore City Park. No period guns or carriages. Batteries are covered in graffiti and trash, a dangerous place.
Location: Hawkins Point, Key Bridge area, Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland.
Maps & Images Lat: 39.20889 Long: -76.53417
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 376
Visited: 2 Apr 2009
Fort Armistead Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!