Fort Clinton (4)
Fort Clinton (4) (1814-1815) - An American War of 1812 Fort established in 1814 near New York City, New York County, New York. Named Fort Clinton after DeWitt Clinton, then Mayor of New York City (1803-1810, 1811-1815). Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1815.
History of Fort Clinton
Established in 1814 as a stone and earthworks fortification located on the northeast side of present day Central Park in New York City. Built on the previous site of McGowan's Pass Redoubt a Revolutionary War fortification. The site offered a commanding view of the East River and McGowan's Pass along the Old Post Road.
This fortification was one of a line running diagonally across the northern end of Manhattan Island from Fort Laight in the north to the Halletts Point Tower in the south. Included in the line from north to south were Fort Laight, NYC Blockhouse No. 3, NYC Blockhouse No. 2, NYC Blockhouse No. 1, Fort Fish, Fort Clinton (4), Mill Rock Fort, Fort Stevens (5) and the Halletts Point Tower. These fortifications were located on line of bluffs in the north that overlooked the landside approaches and the major roads into New York City. The southern end of the line guarded McGowans Pass along the Old Post Road and the back door water approach to New York City via a treacherous stretch of water known as Hell Gate.
In addition to these major fortifications, a number of gun batteries and smaller redoubts were located at strategic points to reinforce and protect specific areas. Often these fortifications were connected by earth works and trenches.
Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1815.
Fort Clinton Monument near the fort site, the monument appears to have been vandalized. Site was located on high ground west of the intersection of Fifth Avenue and East 107th Street.