Fort Fish (1814-1815) - A War of 1812 earthworks fort established in 1814 in present day Central Park, New York City, New York. Named Fort Fish after Nicholas Fish, then chairman of New York's Committee of Defense. Probably abandoned as a fortification in 1815 at the end of the war.
History of Fort FishWar of 1812 as an earthworks fort in present day Central Park, New York City. Located along the Old Post Road at the highest point on the bluff overlooking present day Central Park. Fort Fish was the largest and most heavily armed of the three fortifications in the area.
This fortification was one of a line running diagonally across the northern end of Manhattan Island from Fort Laight in the north to the Halletts Point Tower in the south. Included in the line from north to south were Fort Laight, NYC Blockhouse No. 3, NYC Blockhouse No. 2, NYC Blockhouse No. 1, Fort Fish, Fort Clinton (4), Mill Rock Fort, Fort Stevens (5) and the Halletts Point Tower. These fortifications were located on line of bluffs in the north that overlooked the landside approaches and the major roads into New York City. The southern end of the line guarded McGowans Pass along the Old Post Road and the back door water approach to New York City via a treacherous stretch of water known as Hell Gate.
In addition to these major fortifications, a number of gun batteries and smaller redoubts were located at strategic points to reinforce and protect specific areas. Often these fortifications were connected by earth works and trenches.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1815 at the end of the war.
No remains in Central Park.