Fort George (12)
Fort George (12) (1715-1737) - An English Colonial-era fort and settler refuge established as Fort George in 1715 in Brunswick, Sagadahoc County, Maine. Razed in 1737. Assigned Location ID ME00032.
Construction of this fort began in August 1715 under the supervision of Captain John Guiles and was completed in December 1751. The site was described as "on the ledge of rocks at the northern end of Maine Street." The new fort was located near the site of the old Fort Andros.
The fort walls were made of stone laid in mortar and were very thick. The trace of the fort included two bastions and two half-bastions. Inside the fort was a large two-story house/barracks with the roof appearing above the wall.
The fort was abandoned in 1737 and dismantled on the order of the General Court of Massachusetts. The property reverted to the proprietors who subsequently leased it to individuals and finally sold it in 1761 to Captain David Dunning and Jeremiah Moulton. The ruins of the old fort were still visible as late as 1802.
Marker only remains. The old fort site is currently overbuilt with the Fort Andross Mill Complex, a business center building with origins that date back to an 1809 cotton mill.
Visited: 27 May 2018