Fort Glass (1813-1813) - A Creek Indian War settler fort established in 1813 in Clarke County, Alabama. Named Fort Glass after Zachariah Glass. Abandoned in 1813.
History of Fort Glass
Established in 1813 by Zachariah Glass and his neighbors during the Creek Indian War. Built as a 180' by 120' wooden stockade and garrisoned in August 1813 by Colonel Carson and his regiment of 200 mounted men. Located 225 yards from Fort Madison.
Abandoned later in 1813.
Unknown, Clarke County, Alabama.
Location: Near Suggsville, Clarke County, Alabama.
Maps & Images
Lat: 31.5219444 Long: -87.7188889
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 6
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1700284