Fort Mellon (1836-1842) - First established as Camp Monroe (2) in December 1836 during the Second Seminole War by Ltc. Alexander C.W. Fanning and 300 troops. Renamed Fort Mellon on 9 Feb 1837 after Capt. Charles Mellon, who was killed in an Indian attack on Camp Monroe (2), 8 Feb 1837. Finally abandoned in 1842. Also known as Fort Fanning.
First established as Camp Monroe (2) in December 1836 by Ltc. Alexander C.W. Fanning and 300 troops that included three companies of artillery, four companies of Dragoons and others. The post was attacked by hostile Seminole Indians on 8 Feb 1837 and Capt. Charles Mellon was the sole U.S. casualty of the attack. The post was named for him the next day by Ltc. Alexander C.W. Fanning. The fort was abandoned about 15 Jun 1837 because of sickness among the troops and the hostile Seminole Indians burned everything burnable.
Fort Mellon was ordered reoccupied on 4 Nov 1837 and it became a supply depot for area posts. The post was finally abandoned on 27 May 1842.
Visited: 10 Feb 2010