Fort Ohio (1750-1770s) - A French & Indian War era fortified trading post and depot established by the Ohio Campany in 1750 near present day Ridgeley, Mineral County, West Virginia. Abandoned in 1770s. Also Known as New Store.
History of Fort Ohio
Established in 1750 by the Ohio Company as a trading post and depot for the Indian trade. Later fortified and converted to a blockhouse in 1754. Located on the south bank of the Potomac River directly across from present day Cumberland, Maryland.
The post was not initially stockaded but consisted of a two story 45' by 25' storehouse, a stable, meathouse, and dairy. During 1754 the Virginia colonial militia under Colonel James Innis took over the post and converted the storehouse to a magazine and built breastworks but the post was not formally garrisoned by regular troops. The Ohio Company continued to operate the store on a limited basis during the war.
The much larger Fort Cumberland was built in 1755 directly across the Potomac River in present day Cumberland, Maryland. The need for both forts declined with the end of the French & Indian War in 1763. Fort Cumberland closed in 1765 and Fort Ohio probably closed sometime between then and the early 1770s. George Washington is known to have stopped at New Store to have breakfast with Colonel James Innis on 27 Nov 1770.
Marker only on the south side of the bridge between Ridgeley, West Virginia and Cumberland, Maryland.
Visited: 31 May 2016