|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Pemberton (1863-1863) - First established in February 1863 as a Confederate fortification on the Tallahatachie River. Named after Confederate General John C. Pemberton, also known as Fort Greenwood. Abandoned in June 1863.
Fort Pemberton History
Confederate forces under Confederate General John C. Pemberton constructed a fort at a narrow point on the Tallahatchie River to block Union gunboats from joining the siege of Vicksburg. The fort was built of cotton bales covered with earth and mounted one eight inch rifle and some light guns, it was manned by 1500 men under Brigadier General William W. Loring. The steamship "Star of the West" was sunk in the channel as an obstruction.
On 11 Mar 1863 two Union ironclads attacked and were damaged by fire from the fort. The Union gunboats were unable to break through and abandoned the attempt to reach Vicksburg by the Tallahatachie-Yazoo route.
The fort was abandoned in late May and early June 1863.
Roadside marker and breastworks visible.
Location: Fort Pemberton Park, Leflore County, Mississippi.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.5291667 Long: -90.2361111
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 450
Fort Pemberton Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!