|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Pierce (1838-1842) - A U.S. Army palmetto log blockhouse erected during the Second Seminole War on 2 Jan 1838 and probably named after its builder and first commander, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin K. Pierce, 1st U.S. Artillery. Located in the present day city of Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Florida. Decommissioned in 1842 and burned to the ground in 1843. Replaced by Fort Capron.
Fort Pierce History
A U.S. Army palmetto log blockhouse established on 2 Jan 1838 during the Second Seminole War on the west bank of the Indian River.
Decommissioned in 1842 at the end of the war and burned to the ground in 1843. Replaced by Fort Capron.
Part of Old Fort City Park, Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Florida. Site Archeological ID: 8SL24. The park is also the site of an ancient burial mound of the Ais Indians.
Location: Old Fort City Park, South Indian River Drive, St. Lucie, St. Lucie County, Florida
Maps & Images Lat: 27.436389 Long: -80.320556
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 198
Visited: 14 Feb 2012
Fort Pierce Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!