Fort Ramsay (2)
Fort Ramsay (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established as Fort Upton in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Renamed Fort Ramsay 6 Nov 1861 for Lieutenant Colonel George D. Ramsay, (Cullum 257), Chief of Ordnance. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Ramsay
Established in 1861 on the crest of Upton Hill on the present day border of Arlington County and Fairfax County along Wilson Blvd. During U.S. Civil War the owner of the property and a large home on the north side of present day Wilson Road was Charles Upton.
Upton Hill was taken by Confederate forces after the first Battle of Bull Run but was recaptured by Union forces on 29 Sep 1861. The Union forces built a large masonry fort on the south side of the road and used Upton's house on the other side as their headquarters. They also built a tall wooden tower atop the house using it as a signal station to communicate with Washington and they later brought the military telegraph to the headquarters. The fort may have straddled the present day Fairfax/Arlington County line. Several large Union camps were located around and adjacent to the fort because it was so close to Confederate territory.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains and no marker found.
Visited: 2 Jun 2016