|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Raymond (1807-1813) - Established by Manuel Lisa and a party of 50+ men in mid November 1807 as a fur trading post for the Missouri Fur Company. Named after Manuel Lisa's infant son. Abandoned by March 1813. Also known as Fort Manuel (3), Fort Manuel Lisa (2), Fort Remon, Fort Lisa (2), Lisa's Post and Big Horn Post (2).
Fort Raymond History
The fort consisted of a square blockhouse, the lower part of which was a room for furs: the upper part was inhabited by Mr. Reuben Lewis (Meriwether Lewis's brother) and some of the hunters belonging to the establishment. There were some small outhouses, and the whole was surrounded by a palisade, about fifteen feet high.
Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below:
|Primary Name||Dates||State||Location||AKA Names|
|Fort Manuel (1)||1812-1813||South Dakota||Under Lake Oahe||
|Cedar Island Post||1811-18??||South Dakota||Under Lake Francis Case||
|Fort Manuel Lisa (1)||1809-1813||North Dakota||Under Garrison Dam project|
|Fort Henry (1)||1810-1811||Montana||3 Forks|
|Fort Lisa (3)||1805-1809||Nebraska|
|Fort Henry (2)||1810-1811||Idaho||Henry's fork of the Snake River|
Location: A State marker(22) is located 1 mile west of Bighorn, Treasure County, Montana, off I94 on the south side of the Yellowstone River. Map point may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 46.16167 Long: -107.45889
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 73 (under Fort Manuel (1))
- Wood, W. Raymond, First Post in the Far West (November 1807 - March 1813), Discovering Lewis & Clark®, http://www.lewis-clark.org , August 2007
Fort Raymond Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!