|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Reid (1840-1849) - Established 7 Jul 1840 during the Second Seminole War by Ltc. William S. Harney. Named after Robert R. Reid, fourth Territorial Governor of Florida. Abandoned in 1849. Also known as Fort Read and Fort Reed.
Fort Reid History
Established 7 Jul 1840 by Ltc. William S. Harney and garrisoned by Capt. George A.H. Blake, and companies A, B, F, and K, 2nd U.S. Dragoons. This post was about 1.5 miles south of Fort Mellon and served as an alternate garrison for troops at that post. Apparently abandoned by U.S. troops in 1842 but occupied on and off by area settlers until it was re-garrisoned 4 Nov 1849 by Company D, 1st U.S. Artillery. The post was finally abandoned 17 Dec 1849.
Location: Map point is marker location. Speer Grove Park, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida.
Maps & Images Lat: 28.79500 Long: -81.25651
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 199-200
Visited: 10 Feb 2010
Fort Reid Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!