|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Reynolds (1867-1872) - First established in 1867 as Marcy's Camp by Captain Simon Snyder, 5th U.S. Infantry in Pueblo County, Colorado. Named on completion after Major General John F. Reynolds, killed in action at Gettysburg, 1 Jul 1863. Post abandoned in 1872.
Fort Reynolds History
Established 3 Jul 1867 as Marcy's Camp by Captain Simon Snyder, 5th U.S. Infantry, Company F, in Pueblo County, Colorado. Initially a temporary construction camp, the completed post was renamed for Major General John F. Reynolds who was killed in action at Gettysburg, 1 Jul 1863. The completed fort was built of adobe with 30 some buildings including a 143 foot long red painted barracks.
The post was abandoned on 15 Jul 1872 and transferred to the Department of Interior 18 Jul 1874.
Marker only, post on private property, Pueblo County, Colorado
Location: Marker on U.S. Highway 50, Pueblo County, Colorado.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.23021 Long: -104.29999
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 113
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 45
Visited: 22 Sep 2011
Fort Reynolds Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!