Pine Bluff Arsenal
Pine Bluff Arsenal (1941-Present) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1941 during World War II as the Chemical Warfare Arsenal in present day Pine Bluff, Jefferson County, Arkansas. Renamed Pine Bluff Arsenal in 1942. Active military installation.
Established by U.S. Army on 2 Nov 1941 as a chemical weapons facility built on 14,944 acres near Pine Bluff, Arkansas. During World War II the arsenal made magnesium and thermite incendiary munitions and produced lethal gases and chemical compounds installed in artillery shells and bombs. The arsenal came to employ some 10,000 civilians, had a military garrison of about 350 troops and some 900 buildings.
After World War II in the 1950s the arsenal began producing lethal biological pathogens including anthrax spores that could be dispersed through the air until President Richard Nixon banned the production and use of biological weapons. On 16 Nov 2010, arsenal officials announced that the last of the chemical agents stored there had been destroyed. As of 2011, the arsenal makes smoke, incendiary, and pyrotechnic devices and tests chemical defense clothing.
Active military installation.
Pine Bluff, Jefferson County, Arkansas