|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Redstone Arsenal (1941-Present) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1941 during World War II in present day Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama. Made conventional ammunition and toxic chemicals during World War II. Became the center of U.S. Army rocket and missile programs postwar. Active military installation.
Redstone Arsenal History
Established as a 38,658 acre U.S. Army Arsenal in 1941. Made conventional ammunition and toxic chemicals during World War II. The Huntsville Arsenal and Huntsville Depot were combined into the Redstone Arsenal on 30 Jun 1949 with Redstone Arsenal assuming the command functions.
Became the center of U.S. Army rocket and missile programs postwar.
Active military installation.
Active military installation, Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Redstone Arsenal Type: Class: Military ID: 2512509
- Location: Madison County, Alabama, US, FIPS Code: 01089
- Latitude: 34.6299727, Longitude: -86.6528665, Elevation: 610 Map: Madison
- As Of: 17 Nov 2008
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.648602 Long: -86.65977
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 13-14
Redstone Arsenal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!