Whitehorse NWMP Post
Whitehorse NWMP Post (1900-Present) - A North West Mounted Police (NWMP) post first established in 1900 in Whitehorse, Yukon. Active post.
A North West Mounted Police (NWMP) post and division headquarters established in 1900 during the Yukon gold rush at the newly created town of Whitehorse. Whitehorse became the railhead of a new rail line from Skagway and was booming, by 1901 there were four trains a day arriving at Whitehorse.
In 1899, NWMP Superintendent Bowen Perry recommended that the headquarters of ‘H’ Division be moved from Tagish to Whitehorse in anticipation of the influx. The Division was moved to White Horse in 1900 with some 80 Mounties. Eight buildings were built by November using lumber from local sawmills.
In 1901, a new 60’ x 20’ store building, a bath and wash house, a division and casualty store, quarters for the Asst. Surgeon, a latrine and an ice house as well as two pump houses were added to the post.
Following the end of the gold rush the population declined and so did the need for policemen. On 1 Feb 1920, the NWMP became the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). By the 1930s there were only three Mounties patrolled the Whitehorse area.
World War II (1939-1945)
With the United States declaration of war in Dec 1941 it became necessary for the U.S. to have a land route into Alaska. Construction of the Alaska Highway began in March 1942 and created created a booming economy for Whitehorse. The Yukon’s economic and political center shifted from Dawson to Whitehorse.
Whitehorse became headquarters for the RCMP “M” Division in 1974.
The Whitehorse RCMP detachment is currently located at 4100 4th Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon.
The original location of the post is said to be at the present-day site of the MacBride Museum of Yukon History at First Ave. and Wood Street. This museum site was also home to the officers' housing, the jail and the RCMP stables. The NWMP compound was located back from the river at the base of the escarpment, in an area enclosed by Main Street, Lambert Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue. The current RCMP Headquarters building is located within this area at 4100 4th Avenue.