Auburn Blockhouse (1862-1868) - First established in 1862 as a civilian blockhouse in the town of Auburn, Baker County, Oregon. Abandoned in 1868.
The blockhouse was built in 1862 by civilians to protect the gold mining town of Auburn after gold was discovered near there in October 1861. The town of Auburn was located about 8 airline miles southwest of Baker City, Baker County, Oregon. The town had a population of about 5000 people during the U.S. Civil War period but is not even a ghost town now. The blockhouse was abandoned in 1868 when it was no longer needed.