Aurora Flight Strip
Aurora Flight Strip (1943-1946) - A World War II U.S. Army Airfield established in 1943 near Aurora, Marion County, Oregon. First named Aurora Flight Strip after the location and the type of airfield. Served as an Auxiliary Field to Portland Army Air Base. Closed after the end of WWII circa 1946.
The airfield was built by the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1943 and was known as Aurora Flight Strip. It was then a 138-acre outlying (supporting) airfield to the Portland Army Air Base. Used by military aircraft on training flights. It was closed after World War II and was turned over for state government use by the War Assets Administration (WAA).
Now known as Aurora State Airport. Increased traffic and activity in the Salem-Portland air corridor caused an air traffic control tower to be built here in 2015.