Battery 155 - Hill 400
Battery 155 - Hill 400 (1943-1944) - Battery 155 - Hill 400 was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Mears, Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska. Battery construction started in October 1942, was completed in December 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 21 Dec 1943. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Dutch Harbor.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm 1918 rapid fire guns mounted on 1918 mobile carriages emplaced on concrete circular (360 degrees) Panama mounts. The guns were initially emplaced in tactical positions until the concrete Panama mounts were completed and accepted for service in 1943. The Battery was constructed on Hill 400 at the southern end of Amaknak Island on the Fort Mears reservation. The position was also known as Bunker Hill or Little South America locally.
The battery was carried on the Harbor Defense Plan Annex as Battery Tactical 2 - 155mm at Location 7, on Hill 400. The 61-acre site was procured on 14 Jun 1942 for the 155mm Battery and associated Garrison. The Battery included a buried concrete Plotting Room, 10' by 40', a Battery Commanders (BC) station, two Base End Stations (BES) and a number of magazines. The Battery was not formally named.
The maximum elevation range for the battery at this location was 19,100 yards or 10.85 miles, with the 360-degree coverage, this battery could cover almost all of Unalaska Bay out to the mouth where other batteries were positioned to cover the approaches.
Ammunition authorized for the Battery included a battle allowance of 3200 complete rounds and a War Reserve of 3200 complete rounds.
By August 1944 the guns and ordinance were reported in storage at Fort Mears and all 155mm ammunition was ordered shipped away from Harbor Defense but the Battery was also listed to be retained for the "Duration of Emergency".
No period guns or carriages in place. Some remains of the structures.