Battery 155 - Sabine Pass
Battery 155 - Sabine Pass (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Sabine Pass was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Sabine Pass Military Reservation, Jefferson County, Texas. Battery construction started 9 Nov 1942, was completed 30 Dec 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 11 Nov 1943 at a cost of $ 44,798.40. Deactivated on 1 Jul 1944.
World War II
Part of the Temporary Harbor Defense of Sabine Pass, Texas.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1917 Mobile Carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. The 155mm guns replaced a temporary 105mm howitzer field artillery battery. The two Panama mounts were placed on 13' mounds that were stabilized with gunite. Ramps were provided to allow positioning of the guns on the Panama mounts.
The Temporary Harbor Defense of Sabine Pass was deactivated on 1 Jul 1944 and on 5 Jul 1944 the guns were removed. The troops departed on 8 Jul 1944 for Fort Crockett.
Part of Texas Point National Wildlife Refuge. No period guns or mounts in place. One concrete Panama mount is exposed. The concrete magazines are located back at the Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park.
Visited: 12 Apr 2013