Battery AMTB - Eider Point Spit
Battery AMTB - Eider Point Spit (1944-Unk) - Battery AMTB - Eider Point Spit was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Fort Learnard, Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska. Battery construction probably started in 1943, was probably completed and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in early 1944. Deactivation date is unknown.
World War II
Part of the Harbor Defense of Dutch Harbor.
The AMTB battery at Eider Point Spit consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts, two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts and two 37mm guns mounted on M3 mobile mounts. Four .50 Caliber machine guns on M2 anti-aircraft mounts were authorized and two were emplaced.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
The battery was authorized by letter on 17 Feb 1943 and the site was approved on 6 Jul 1943. The armament was allocated by the War Department on 12 Apr 1943.
The Eider Point Spit AMTB battery site was a part of a larger 2,542-acre site that included Battery 298 and the remainder of Fort Learnard. The ATMB Battery was identified as Battery 3a, Location #10a, procured for government use on 30 Apr 1942. The cantonment area for the AMTB personnel was at Location #10b close to the shore at Wide Bay below the AMTB Battery site.
Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered concrete magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was to be provided by M-7 portable generators. An SCR 547-B radar height-finder set was provided to supply slant range or altitude of aircraft.
The Dutch Harbor HD Annex indicates that by 1944 there was a single steel igloo magazine #6, 26' by 30', with a Battle Allowance of 1400 complete rounds and a War Reserve allowance of 1400 complete rounds.
By August 1944 the two mobile guns and ordinance were reported in storage at Fort Mears but the Battery was also listed to be retained for the "Duration of Emergency".
Deactivation date is unknown.
No period gun or mounts in place.