Battery Benson (1904-1943) - Battery Henry Benson is a concrete Endicott Period Battery located on Fort Worden, Jefferson County, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Capt. Henry Benson, 2nd U.S. Artillery, who died 11 Aug 1862 from wounds received at the 2nd battle of Maven Hill, Virginia, 5 Aug 1862, during the U.S. Civil War. The Battery was begun in 1904, completed in 1907, and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 24 Apr 1908 at a total cost of $142,500. The guns were dismounted in 1943 during World War II.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Designed to protect both the Straight of Juan De Fuca and the Admiralty Inlet to Puget Sound. Built with two 10" M1900 guns on M1901 disappearing carriages in a concrete battery at a cost of $142,500. The 10" guns could fire a six hundred pound shell 9 miles.
World War II (1941-1945)
The guns and carriages were ordered scrapped on 7 Jul 1943.
Part of the Fort Worden State Park Conference Center. The Battery is accessible to the public and the rooms are clean and dry but empty. No guns or carriages are in place.
Visited: 19 Jul 2008