Battery Downes (1907-1946) - Battery Downes is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 3- inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after 1st Lt. Edward Elbert Downes, who served in the 1st U.S. Infantry in the Philippines Operations and died there 23 Jun 1901. Battery construction started in 1904, was completed in 1905, and was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 23 Apr 1907 at a cost of $ 12,000. Deactivated in 1918.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 pedestal mounts. This is a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and the magazines on the lower level. Each gun had its own magazine located in a central structure between the two guns, a storage area separated the batteries. No powder or shell hoists were provided.
World War II
Guns and Carriages were declared obsolete on 18 Oct 1945 and processed for salvage on 7 Mar 1946.
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. The Battery is accessible to the public and the rooms are clean and dry but empty. No guns or carriages are in place.