Battery Emory (1898-1929 ) - Battery Emory was a concrete Endicott Period 10" disappearing gun battery located on Fort Washington (1), Maryland. The Battery was named for Maj. William H. Emory (Cullum 642) on 24 Mar 1900. Battery construction started in 1897, was completed in 1898 and was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 6 Jul 1899 at a total cost of $91,432.00. Deactivated in 1929.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Potomac.
Battery Emory was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period gun battery with two different 10" gun emplacements.
Emplacement #1 was an M1888MII gun mounted on an M1896MI disappearing Carriage. Emplacement # 1 gun and carriage were removed and shipped to Fort Morgan (1) for use in an experimental one gun battery. The gun and carriage were in place in the experimental battery March 13th and 14th, 1916 for the test. The test involved the battleships New York and Arkansas firing upon the Battery to determine what damage a modern battleship could do to a coastal battery. Some 55 large caliber shells were fired at the battery without producing significant damage to the battery or to the gun and its carriage.
Emplacement #2 was an M1888 gun mounted on an M1894 disappearing carriage. Emplacement #2 remained in Battery Emory but the gun was dismounted by Aug 1928 and shipped to Aberdeen 27 Aug 1929.
On Fort Washington National Park, Maryland. No period guns or carriages are in place.
Battery Emory Picture Gallery