Battery Harrison (2)
Battery Harrison (2) (1911-1939) - Battery Harrison was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Whitman, Skagit County, Washington. The battery was named in G.O. 245, 13 Dec 1909, after Colonel George Francis Edward Harrison , West Point Graduate (1873), who died 26 Mar 1909. Battery construction started in 1909, was completed in 1911, and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 9 May 1911. at a cost of $ 92,000. Deactivated in 1939.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with four 6" wire wrapped M1908 guns mounted on M1905MI disappearing carriages. This is a single-story battery with the guns, magazines, and service rooms all located on the same level. A common magazine is provided between emplacements 1 and 2 and between emplacements 3 and 4. Each magazine has a common powder room and a common shell room. No shell or powder hoists were provided. A central facility housed the plotting room and a storeroom
Electrical power was originally furnished by a gasoline-driven 25 KW motor-generator set in the power room between emplacements #1 and #2, it was transferred on 9 May 1911 at a cost of $ 430.28. A second motor-generator set was added in 1920, accepted on 26 Jan 1920. A separate concrete building for the latrine located across the road between emplacements #1 and #2, was accepted on 9 May 1911 at a cost of $ 1,055. Two rooms in emplacement #2 were used as mine casemates.
World War II (1941-1945)
On 29 Dec 1939 all four guns were declared as "no longer required" and ordered dismounted and stored at Fort Worden. On 19 Sep 1941 two guns were removed temporarily from the "no longer required" status. The four M1905MI disappearing carriages were salvaged on 20 Sep 1943 and the four M1908 guns were transferred to Watervliet on 22 Feb 1944 and salvaged by them on 17 Oct 1945.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 14 Apr 2010