Battery Schofield - West Point
Battery Schofield - West Point (1907-19??) - Battery Schofield was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6" inch coastal gun battery on West Point, Orange County, New York. The battery was named after lieutenant general John M. Schofield, who was awarded the Medal of Honor, became Superintendent of the United States Military Academy, became commanding general of the United States Army and who died 4 Mar 1906. Battery construction started and was completed in 1907 and transferred to the Academy. Deactivated in 19??.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1905 guns mounted on M1903 Disappearing carriages. Built to provide a training platform for West Point Cadets in coast defense systems. Included a battery commanders station, primary and secondary fire control stations, and a 60' searchlight. The battery fired sub-caliber practice rounds out into the Hudson River.
This was a single story battery with the guns located on the same level as the magazines. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by hand. No shell or powder hoists were provided or needed.
After using this practice battery cadets traveled in their final year to Fort Hancock where they fired 6", 10" and 12" guns at the fort.
No period guns or mounts in place. Site is over built by the amphitheater at Trophy Point.