Battery Stearman (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Battery Stearman in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Lieutenant William Stearman, 13th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, who died 17 Nov 1863 of wounds received near Loudon, Tennessee. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Stearman
Battery Stearman was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Battery was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located in the gorge between Temperance Hill and Marbrey's Hill.
Battery Stearman was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.