Battery Terrill (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Terrill after Brigadier General William R. Terrill, (Cullum 1594), who was killed 8 Oct 1862, at the battle of Perryville, Kentucky. Battery site abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Terrill
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthen field gun battery with emplacements for seven guns. Contiguous to and in advance of Fort Kearny.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Trace remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531069
Location: 3001 Garrison Street on the grounds of the Peruvian Embassy in Northwest Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.95694 Long: -77.06111
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 140.