Battery Zoellner (1863-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Battery first established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Battery Zoellner in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Lieutenant Frank Zoellner, 2nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry, who was mortally wounded in the assault on enemy rifle pits before Fort Sanders on 24 Nov 1863. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Zoellner
Battery Zoellner was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Battery was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located between Fort Sanders and Second Creek. Configured for four gun platforms.
The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.