Camp Belknap (3)
Camp Belknap (3) (1846-1846) - A Mexican War U.S. Army Volunteer Camp established in 1846 near Boca Chica, Cameron County, Texas. Named for William Goldsmith Belknap, a regular U.S. Army Officer who rose to the rank of Brigadier General. Camp abandoned by the end of 1846.
Camp Belknap was established in July 1846 as volunteers in response to a congressional call for 50,000 volunteer troops.
The camp was located on a long narrow rise of land, measuring about 2 miles in length and one-half mile at its widest point near present-day Boca Chica.
Troop estimates for the camp totaled some 7,000-8,000 men and including several regiments from eight states. Soldiers were exposed to the elements, lived in overcrowded unsanitary conditions, and were plagued with biting insects, thorny plants, and disease. Many sickened and died.
The Mexican Army never attacked and during August and September, most of the men were moved upriver. The camp was completely empty by December 1846.
Marker only, on Boca Chica Boulevard (Texas State Highway 4) 0.1 miles west of Quicksilver Avenue in Boca Chica.