Camp Black (1)
Camp Black (1) (1898-1898) - A Spanish American War Muster Camp established in 1898 near Garden City, Nassau County, New York. Named Camp Black after Frank S. Black, New York Governor (1897-1898). Abandoned in 1898.
History of Camp Black
Established on 29 Apr 1898 by its first commander, Charles F. Roe (Cullum 2268) as one of two mustering‑in camps for the New York volunteers along with Camp Townsend in Peekskill. Located on the Hempstead plain on Long Island in Nassau County, New York. The site would later become the site of Camp Mills in WWI and later the site of Mitchell Field. Once mustered in and outfitted the units would usually move on to the Corps level training camps like Camp George H. Thomas.
Camp Black closed on 28 Sep 1898.
No remains, Garden City, Nassau County, New York. Described as bounded on the north by Old Country Road, on the west by Clinton Road, and on the south by the Central Line rail.