Camp Cameron (2)
Camp Cameron (2) (1861-1862) - A U.S. Civil War Camp established in 1861 near Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. Named Camp Cameron after Simon Cameron, Lincoln's first Secretary of War. Abandoned in 1862. Also known as Camp Day.
The 1st Massachusetts occupied the camp on 13 Jun 1861 while the camp was still under construction. In the short life of the camp 8 units trained here. Camp Cameron was eventually superseded by Camp Meigs (2) and Camp Stanton in 1862.
The site has bee overbuilt and there are no visible remains. The camp occupied an area in North Cambridge bounded on the west by Massachusetts Avenue, on the north by Clarendon Ave., on the east by Broadway and on the south by Shea Street.