Camp Circle City (1898-1900) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1898 during the Alaska Gold Rush by a detachment of the 8th U.S. Infantry in present day Circle City, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska. Named for the town. Abandoned in 1900.
Established by a Detachment of 8th U.S. Infantry on 30 Sep 1898. Established to alleviate the deprivations of the Alaska Gold Rush miners. Became a subpost of Fort Egbert at Eagle.
The post was abandoned in 31 Aug 1900.
Circle City, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1400404
Location: Circle City, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska.
Maps & Images
Lat: 65.8255556 Long: -144.0605556
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 20