Camp McDowell (1865-1865) - Established first as Camp Humbug on 31 May 1865 by Capt. Abner W. Waters, Company F, 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry. Later moved and renamed Camp McDowell after Maj. Gen. Irvin McDowell, commander of the Military Department of the Pacific. Abandoned 11 Jul 1865 and the troops removed to Fort Walla Walla.
Camp McDowell History
Established to keep an eye on the local Indian population. Active for only six weeks.
Location: South Side of Camas Creek, near Ukiah, Umatilla County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 45.13056 Long: -118.92917
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 3,350'
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 136
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 149
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 666