Camp Putnam (1778-1779) - A Patriot Revolutionary War camp established in 1778 in present day Redding, Fairfield County, Connecticut. Named after General Israel Putnam. Abandoned in 1779.
Established in the winter of 1778-1779 by General Israel Putnam to house the Continental Army of New England. The camp was strategically positioned to support the defense of Connecticut's southeastern coast and the Hudson River highlands in case of British attack. Known as Connecticut's "Valley Forge".
Now Putnam Memorial State Park. The site contains the remains of the encampment, reconstructed log buildings a museum and a visitor center.
Location: 449 Black Rock Turnpike, Redding, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.33835 Long: -73.38133
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 122.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 210027